Basic Troubleshooting for iPads
Last modified on 09/30/2020
A few basic things you can try if your iPad or an app is misbehaving.
There are a few things you can try when something on your iPad isn't working right. First there are a few buttons on the iPad that you need to know the name of:
Force Quit the App
- Double tap the home button and swipe up to close the app
- Tap the app on the home screen to reopen the app
Update the App in Self Service
- Open Self Service
- Tap REINSTALL (this will update the app)
- Reopen the app
Restart the iPad
- Hold down the power button on top of the iPad
- Slide to power off
- Hold down the power button to turn it back on
Turn Airplane Mode On and Off
- Open the control center by swiping from the upper right corner to the middle of the screen
- Tap the Airplane to turn on Airplane mode
- Tap the Airplane to turn off Airplane mode
Update the iPad
- Important: Updating an iPad can take over half an hour. Do this at the end of the day or when you won't need to use your iPad for a while.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Download and install the update
Do a Hard Reset
- Hold down the home button and the power button until the apple appears on the screen.
Quit and Re-launch the App
1. Press the home button twice quickly. This will bring up floating tiles for each app you have running.
2. Swipe up on each app to quit them all.
3. Press the home button one time to return to the home screen.
4. Re-launch your app.
Delete and Re-install The App
1. Tap and hold on the app until all apps jiggle and you see an X in the top left corner of the app icon.
2. Tap the X and then confirm that you want to delete the app. Note: if the app stores student work in the (eg Google Drive) the student will be able to access it after re-installing. If work is stored within the app, it will be lost.
3. Open Self Service and install the app again.